In 1948, Claude M. Bristol published his little masterpiece entitled The Magic of Believing. It’s still in print to this day; which tells us something of its enduring value and–more importantly–the truth that he shares with its readers. The front matter of the book includes the following passage from Mark 9:23: “If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.”
In his book, Bristol shares accounts of numerous persons in a variety of situations in which belief–and deep faith–was the cause of seemingly miraculous results. The first sentence of his book about the power of belief reads as follows: “Is there a something, a force, a factor, a power a science–call it what you will–which a few people understand and use to overcome their difficulties and achieve outstanding success? I firmly believe that there is…” To achieve the results that we desire, he also shares techniques that include the practice of impressing the subconscious mind through the repetition of positive affirmations.
This, of course, is nothing new; but the majority of persons may as yet be unaware of the power which is within their own grasp. Knowledge of our essential nature and the power of the mind and the application of that knowledge is key to achieving the results that we desire. Faith is not a dead word; it is vibrantly alive with the power that can move mountains. Here, from the Bible, are ten verses that I hope will provide inspiration to help you keep the faith:
- Hebrews 11:3: “Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.”
- Matthew 6:33: “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you.”
- Luke 12:32: “Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”
- Philippians 4:8: “Finally, brethren whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”
- Matthew 9:29: “Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.”
- Mark 11:24: “Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.”
- Job 22:28: “Thou shalt also decree a thing, and it shall be established unto thee: and the light shall shine upon thy ways.”
- Matthew 17:20: “And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall move; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.”
- John 21:6: “And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were unable to draw it for the multitude of fishes.”
- Romans 4:17: “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.”
Knowledge of the power of the mind to produce wonders–in all aspects of our life–has been known for centuries. Today, that power is termed The Placebo Effect; and it is equally powerful in producing both favourable and unfavourable results, depending on the habitual beliefs of the subject. Press here to watch a short Tedtalk about this fascinating subject. It will be easier to understand the power of belief if you realize that mind and matter are not opposite; they are one. We live and move and have our being in a mental universe.
Dare to dream (and care for one another).
With heartfelt regards,
Copyright © – 2020 – R. Arthur Russell
P.S. Please share this article if you believe it has value. If you’d like to view my latest book (This Taste of Flesh and Bones–released September 8, 2020), press here. May it help you in your spiritual journey. 🙏🙏